Monday, November 2, 2009

Never Run Out Of Film



Pavlov's dog is alive and well. I still get a knot in the pit of my stomach whenever I think about it. It’s 1987, and I’ve shot a small benefit comedy show in Hollywood. Several comedians have finished their routines for an audience of a hundred at best. I don’t remember the name of the theater, but I do remember the host coming on stage as people were exiting and I was putting my camera away. “People come back! Robin Williams is about to perform!” I scan the tip sheet. Not Robin Williams? He’s not scheduled to perform…. and I’m out of Tri-X! I take a seat, front row & center, and kick myself throughout his 45-minute impromptu performance(and the drive home, and the next day, and the next…) for not bringing a back-up roll.  Live and learn.

When I was freelancing for the L.A. Times in the 1990’s, it was common to grab an extra roll on occasion and store it away. After a awhile, I had emergency rolls throughout my car, in my camera bag, in various coat pockets, in my frig, in my closet, in my office desk drawers, in my filing cabinets…

Eventually, these back-up rolls became back-up cards. When I went digital in 2002, I remember always carrying a 1GB card with me “just in case” it was needed. Over the years, I’ve accumulated a lot of “just in case” cards. And since I bought an 8GB card, I have an arsenal of 4GB and 2GB back-ups to choose from.

Then it recently occurred to me: Although it’s been 22 years, I can safely say I’ll never run out of film on any assignment ever again. Never. Ever. You hear that, Robin Williams? Go ahead. Show up unexpectedly. I’m ready for you this time.

2 comments: